Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Written by Dominique Dupuis, atelier culinaire L'armoire du haut
Ingredients for 2 portions:
2 big peppers
½ cup chopped onion
1 chopped garlic clove
1 tbsp oil
½ cup of canned lima beans
½ cup of crushed tomatoes
1 cup of cooked quinoa
1 tsp of ground oregano
1 tsp of chili powder
½ tsp salt
1 pinch of pepper
¼ cup of grated soy cheese (optional)
1. Rinse the quinoa (½ cup raw) in cold water and drain. (Rinsing will remove the bitter film that covers the grain).
2. In a saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté for 2 or 3 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent.
3. Add the quinoa and stir until coated. Pour in the broth or water (1 cup) and heat until boiling. Reduce to low heat; cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the liquid is completely absorbed and the grains are tender.
4. Cut the top off the pepper, remove the seeds, and blanch for 1 minute. Drain the Lima beans. Add the tomatoes, oregano, and chili powder, salt and pepper to the quinoa. Stuff the pepper with the quinoa mixture.
5. Place in a greased baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350°F until the peppers are tender. (about 20 minutes).
6. Uncover, garnish the pepper with soy cheese and put back in the over until cheese is melted and lightly golden (about 5 minutes more).
Substitute the grains! Replace the quinoa with brown rice or bulgar.
Instead of blanching the peppers in boiling water, steaming is recommended in order to preserve the maximum of vitamins.
This recipe if courtesy of Dominique Dupuis, of
l'atelier culinaire L'armoire du haut
Thank you! Please check your email and confirm the newsletter subscription.
Abonnez-vous à notre infolettre
It seems that you have already subscribed to this list.
Click here to update your profile.